Sunday, April 28, 2013

My Birthday Weekend

Hello to everyone. I've spent the last few days with family. It has been exhilarating and exhausting. The exhaustion is strange because I haven't done any more physically than usual. I used to be the one running up and down the stairs and getting things prepared and nothing could stop me. Tony takes care of all that now and it makes me feel useless. That is the only negative of this weekend, just not being able to do anything but be here.

I spent my birthday, Friday with Amanda and Brayden. She made me a special cake. I call it an icing cake because it's a lot more icing than cake. I have a weak spot for icing. My Dad came, my Stepmother Gracie cooked for me earlier in the week for my birthday. Great food, cake and all. This is how I'm keeping my weight on. It's strange being told by your Doctor to keep weight on, but I have decided to get used to it. Everyone knows what I can eat easily and make sure I have plenty. When I don't have my food specially prepared, I'm on the Brayden diet. My Grandson and I eat the same things.

I really shouldn't use the word, negative, because it's been a great few days. My son, Tyler, came to town and surprised me for my birthday Friday evening. It's been great to spend time with him in person. It was a little scary at first because this is the first time he's seen me with the ventilator or in a wheelchair full time. We had a much needed in person talk. We talked about the fears and pain and shed a few tears. He has put on a strong face for me since. There is no changing the situation right now, so we've certainly not limited ourselves to talking about ALS. No way ALS is going to spoil my precious short time with him. We won't have that. Today he spent the afternoon with his sister, Amanda, and her family. He got to see his sister, Tasha, a few minutes as she stopped by with Amber on her way to work. Amber stayed and visited a while, In case you don't remember she is the Granddaughter I inherited when Tasha married Billy. She's a very sweet young lady and busy new mom to her son, Grayson.

But between Friday and tonight (Sunday) I've had a lot of visitors and a lot of love. Mom visited Saturday here instead of our usual Saturdays out. I was too exhausted. Mom and my sister, Julie, already celebrated my birthday earlier in the month. Julie and I both have April birthdays. Tyler will be here one more day. Weather allowing, we're going for a stroll around the neighborhood. It will be nice leaving these walls.

Wednesday Our son, Steven will be leaving town for ETSU School of Pharmacy. Some special hellos and non-permanent good-byes this week.

I have a couple of ideas for my next post, but remember I'm open to topic suggestions. It's best to leave them under the blog drop down menu "leave me a message" or on the private contact page.

I want to say hello to all my followers and welcome the new ones that have added to my inspiration to keep blogging. Thank you all.

Until next time, take care,

April

 

[subscribe2]

6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday , April.
    It seems you had a busy birthday, something that deserved to be celebrated. Please continue your blogging. It helps me to know others share this journey. Your an inspiration to all.
    Vickey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy spending Saturdays with you. It was great seeing Tyler. I wish we could see him more often. I enjoy spending time with Amanda and Braydon at church on Sundays. I just wanted to tell my little calendar girl happy birthday again. I love you mama.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey April, I'm so glad you had such a great birthday with everyone,a nd so glad that Tyler got to come and visit. That is awesome. Happy birthday (: love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vickey, thank you very much, and I do plan to keep blogging. To have someone going through this say it is helpful means a lot and keeps me motivated. You're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Trudy, it has been a great birthday. Tyler and I went for a long walk today. When we got back I was the exhausted one. He never let on he was tired even on the steep hills in the neighborhood as I rolled on. I'm glad the rain stopped today. It was great weather for a stroll. Love you too

    ReplyDelete
  6. I treasure Saturdays with my Mama! Any day is great with you. Coming up is the first Saturday of the month. Great news for us thrifty shoppers! I love you too

    ReplyDelete