Friday, April 5, 2013

Deciding when to tell... a rambling post

I feel like I'm living a double life here and will be outed at any moment. I've always been a private person. My family is used to it although sometimes they've accused me of bordering paranoia. So many people have begged me to join facebook. I hate facebook. Tony does have an account so if anything important comes up, he usually tells me. The way I've shunned all social networks from their beginning, they will surely be shocked to hear I'm putting my life out there.

I mean I plan to go all the way. ALS gave me no choice. So tomorrow is Saturday. Since my diagnosis, Saturday is time with my Mom. I like to call it Saturdays with April, but nobody else seems to find it the least bit funny.  It started out as our movie day, I made a review page that I keep in a 3 ring binder, and we wright our little reviews, more so about our experience. The Goodwill is part of our day too. I love the Goodwill. Mom would get a cart and bring it to me to use as my rollator. It's been a blast. A few times when I haven't felt well we rented from redbox and watched a movie from my bed. I still can't believe I watched Magic Mike with my Mother. I can hardly stand watching a kissing scene with her. I do live in the Bible Belt after all and was raised strict Baptist. Maybe more on that another time.

Since I've lost the ability to walk and don't have a wheelchair van yet, it's been more difficult. It's not impossible. Tony can take me and manual chair to the theater and Mom can push me, and tony pick me up. We haven't yet, but my Mother does knows her way around a wheelchair. She took care of her sister for a long time. She had Freidrich's Ataxia. It's a neuro-muscular disorder. Yes, I've checked. There is absolutely no link to my ALS. She had childhood onset which has a faster progression. I remember my Mother and Grandmother giving her a bath after leaving their full time job for the day. I was probably about 5 and couldn't wait for this time be cause I could ride around the house in the wheelchair. I had so much fun. My God, the irony.  My aunt by this time had little muscle control and typed with her nose what she needed done for the day. She was a beautiful, intelligent woman with her life cut  very short. She died in her mid-forties. My grandmother spent many years getting up to turn her every two hours. She worked a full time job at a hospital and she was the wife of a pastor, which in itself is a full time job. I was about 10 when My grandmother came to terms with the fact she couldn't do it anymore and had to make the most difficult decision to have her daughter placed in a nursing home. Another pastor came over to help break the news to my aunt. I still remember the gut wrenching cries coming from that room. Do not judge my Grandmother for that decision. It really wasn't a choice. There was no home health care in those days, no real support at all, and it was way past the point of being dangerous for her to be home. I know my grandmother never fully recovered from that day though. From the guilt she shouldn't have carried.

My Mother spent every Saturday for the remainder of my aunts life going to the nursing home and making sure she was being treated right, She still gave her a bath every week too. About once a month she took her out shopping for things she had typed with her nose. She got her in and out of a wheelchair alone. she was frail but dead weight. She brought her home and took her back every Thanksgiving and Christmas to be with the family, and many young birthday parties were at the nursing home. There was a nice area outside perfect for it.

Now my Mother is the fulltime caretaker for her other sister disabled by Type 1 diabetes. I don't know how Mom does it. She just says she thinks it's her purpose in life. Now her Daughter is dying? She doesn't deserve any suffering. She is so inspiring, a true saint in my eyes.

I feel like I've totally lost track of my post , but I'm not changing it. I said this is where I'll come and say whatever I'm thinking and this is how I think. One thought leads to another. It's like going to the computer to quickly look up a toothpaste brand or something simple, then two hours later you're watching 'funny cat videos' and thinking, what did I come here for?

Oh yeah, my big secret life story with ALS online. Since my first post I've wondered who in my family may have spotted me, if so probably on twitter when I'm tweeting  slightly out of my mind from insomnia that ambien is starting to lose the battle with too. When I see any of them, I'm looking for clues. Are they saying certain things they would only know if they've been reading? A couple of times it seemed like it.

So I think I'm going to tell my Mother tomorrow. I'm nervous. Not so much because of what I'm doing, but the fact I've used curse words. Remember, I'm from the bible belt and spent several years with my 'by the book' pastor Grandfather.

I just want it out though, I've made up my mind, I"ll be who I am here. I know, no matter what she'll still love me. I'm forty. I can say fuck if I want. I haven't told anybody though. Not even my kids, only Tony. I want it out because I would like to bring them up some and show pictures too. I've always asked people not to post things or pictures about me online so it's only right I give the same respect.

I'm nervous, but I think it will make me feel even more free, and will be a relief when everybody knows. So I'll start with Mom, then rest of the family. I will be set free. Nobody worry, I will never post anything hurtful or private about another person without permission. Only about me, I'm the open book.

I have a request for any old friend or family members that if you do start following my blog, please let me know. I'm just curious. I think I've rambled enough and Tony just served me some delicious food. So I'm off...

Until next time, take care

April

 

[subscribe2]

4 comments:

  1. Hi April, I'm here and I'm following you. I love your blog! It is very interesting, and I'm enjoying learning more about you as an adult. :) Love you, Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer, It's nice to see your smiling face. Thank you for following my blog! I'm so glad you find it interesting.
    I love you too, April

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) symptoms started out with a "foot drop" on her left foot. From there her left leg lost all muscle tone and all the entire left leg muscles was almost gone. Also her fingers and thumbs "contract" at times. Left arm is losing muscle tone too,she have been suffering from amyotrophic laterals sclerosis (ALS) disease for the last seven years and had constant pain which really get us worried, especially in her knees, the only treatment for this ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) is natural organic treatments honestly ,totalcureherbsfoundation .c om has the perfect herbal remedy to all the Motor Neuron Disease including ALS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom ALS started out with a "foot drop" on her left foot. From there her left leg lost all muscle tone and all the entire left leg muscles were almost gone. Also her fingers and thumbs "contract" at times. Left arm is losing muscle tone too,she have been suffering from amyotrophic laterals sclerosis (ALS) disease for the last seven years and had constant pain which really get us worried, especially in her knees, the only treatment for this ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) is natural organic treatments honestly ,Multivitamin Herbal Care has the perfect herbal remedy to Motor Neuron Disease including,getting into bed was also another thing she finds impossible. We had to find a better solution for her condition which has really helped her a lot,The biggest help we had was multivitamincare .org today  (or SMS): +1 -956- 758-7882. They walked us through the proper steps, I highly recommend these herbs to anyone suffering from ALS.

    ReplyDelete